Monday, June 29, 2009

Reichert Breaks From GOP, Votes for Cap and Trade

In a stunning move, Congressman Dave Reichert was one of eight Republicans to cross party lines in support of the Waxman Climate bill (AKA Cap and Trade), which passed the House 219-212. While I can't say I'm glad energy prices will rise across the board if the Senate passes the bill, I welcome any disaffected Republicans to my campaign. I assure you that had I been in Reichert's position I would have voted against Cap and Trade. I am very much for protecting the environment, but all things must be done within reason. I am actually shocked the bill made it out of committee considering how much money the oil lobby must have put into killing it. In my opinion the Cap and Trade is another one of those laws Congress passes that enriches a few at the expense of the many. In this case, it's the green energy field that comes out on top. I support green enery, but I'd like to do so only by purchasing green energy. Subsidies don't level the playing field- they create an unfair advantage. A truly free market is the only way to end the recession, and it will also work to protect the environment- if we give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment